Tuesday, May 22, 2012

DIY Pallet Planter

So remember my blog post about all the free things you can do with pallets?  Well, unlike many of my projects, this one got done rather quickly.  I found a stack of pallets outside our local grocery store and then put my outgoing personality to work and asked if I could have one.  Guess what?  It pays to ask!  I scored a nice pallet for FRA-FRA-FREE!

Here's a quick look at what I did to turn mine into a planter.

My free pallet.
Materials needed:
landscape fabric
scissors
staple gun (not a desk stapler)
dirt
plants

 I easily cut a long strip the size of my pallet and stapled it in a pocket by each front opening.

This is what it looks like from the front.
 

 Here it is all done.  Each opening has a pocket of landscape fabric behind it.

 I added a variety of plants that will do well in sun and shade.  Some coleus, moss rose, this gorgeous chartreuse vine, and some other plants I that I don't remember what they are... they were just pretty!

Originally I wanted to hang it on the side of the house but it is HEA-VY.  Especially after it's watered.  So I propped mine on a wooden crate and it looks great.

A few things to note:
-Water carefully until the plants take root or you'll loose a lot of soil.
-I put moss between the plants to help hold things together.
-Remember to use untreated pallets if you plant to put edibles inside.
-Have fun playing with color and texture.  The more you add, the better it will look.  So take chances on plants you wouldn't normally put together.  You'll surprise yourself!

No comments: