Wednesday, December 7, 2011

own it

My blog post earlier today really got me thinking. Thinking about taking ownership of what we do, say, feel... owning who we are and what we stand for. I personally hate politics. I feel inadequate to talk about them, so I don't entirely "own" where I stand on certain issues. I don't cave to the opponent, but I also don't take every opportunity to step up and stand up for what I believe. But you know what? I have a ton of respect for people who do take responsibility for their actions.

Not to name names, but a certain congressman who somewhat recently got raked over the coals for his actions comes to mind. Even though it makes no difference to me what he does in his personal life, it irks me to hear someone profess innocence one day and a few days later sorrowfully {albeit sheepishly} confess. Huh? We can do that? We can swear up and down we didn't do it, then come clean when the heat's turned up? Is that okay? Take ownership. How would that scenario have played out differently had a confession been the first bit of news? I can tell you this... I would have had a heap more respect for him had that been the outcome. I guess this bothers me because I'm a trusting person on the whole. I want to believe that people are inherently honest.

And now a former Presidential candidate is in the same boat. I don't claim to know the details of the accusations, but he's firmly denying it. I want to believe him. Should I? Or will I be made the fool? I guess that's it. My selfish desire to not feel foolish down the road when I believed what I was told. But what is this world coming to if we cannot trust the words of those around us? It really makes me want to choose my words carefully. It makes me want to be the kind of person that people can trust. Who doesn't let them down. 'Cause this stuff happens - not just in the lives of the rich and famous - but in our own lives as well. People let us down.

Makes me cling even more closely to the One who doesn't change. Who remains the same. The One we can faithfully trust to do what He says he will. In a world that will let you down, I'm so thankful that my creator is there as an unchanging element in my life.

So own it. Own who you are and what you stand for. Be honest and tell the truth. Teach your children to be honest and tell the truth. And leave a legacy of trustworthy and respected people as a part of your heritage.

No comments: