Wednesday, December 14, 2011

get your DIY on

Amidst the craziness that has been my life as we approach the holidays, I've managed to find time to "get my DIY on". It's been a treat to craft my home into a fun holiday environment and it makes me wish I had even MORE time to do things like this!

It started with these fabulous glitzy feathers I found at Michael's several weeks ago. I combined it with some various greens we have in our yard and attached it all to this grapevine wreath I fashioned out of some vines we cut out of the trees by our fence two summers ago. Hang it from a wreath hook and voila! Simple and gorgeous!


















Oh la la my house sparkles!























Next I took this antique frame that I got while thrifting at a local shop. I plan to DIY it once again {after the holidays} into a mod-chic mirror for the girls room. {think sparkly spray paint in a metallic gray!} Today it hangs at the head of our table by some vintage ribbon I also found while thrifting! In the center I tacked some cedar greens, 2 antique silver spoons, and a red ornament. Very shabby farmhouse I think!

The other day I caught a segment on the local news channel showing these topiary type things you could do inside your house and I thought... why not make one for the front steps. I took a green metal vase I already had and cut several varieties of evergreens and layered them in the base. {I also used some of the cut-offs from our Frasier fir Christmas tree.} Then I snipped a handful of branches from our red-twig dogwoods and ta-da! A beautiful decoration to accent our front stoop.




We also DIY'ed as a family and made ornaments for our annual ornament exchange, but those must remain a secret until this weekend, so mum's the word for now! I'll share those in the week to come.


What projects do I plan to tackle after the holidays? Well, my antique mission arm chair for one. All it needs is some foam and fabric and it'll be a beauty. Next I'll get that frame fixed up and painted and the mirror installed. I also have two smaller round wooded frames {found while thrifting - do you see a pattern here?}. Those will be made into silhouette images of my girlies. Painted to match the mirror I believe. And last on my bucket list are the curtains for the girls room in that lovely bird fabric I found last week. I'm sure more crafty wonderfulness will come about as the winter wanes on, but these are my must-dos. Oh! And I almost forgot! I've been feverishly working on getting my crafting stuff organized. I'm eyeing up a few armoires on Craigslist to use to house my overflowing totes and drawers. I love organization!!

And not to be lazy, an update on my Weight Watchers progress. I dropped .6 #'s this week - half of what I gained over the past 2 weeks leading up to last night's weigh in. And I'm satisfied with that. I've decided to just try and maintain where I'm at {give or take 1#} and then jump back in full force in January.

What DIY projects have you tackled lately, or plan to tackle this winter?

No comments: