Wednesday, August 31, 2011

surviving day one

Well. I survived. But let me go back 24 hours.


Last night I took the first step to getting healthier and attended my local Weight Watchers meeting. It was a whirlwind, since I had arrived a bit later than I wanted, information, pamphlets, coupons and the like were stacked in front of me. I was recalling the first time I went to WW some 8 years ago. I was being treated like a newbie, but I felt like a veteran this time around. I said nothing, but found a seat and listened to the topic that night - "Surviving the Grocery Isle". People openly shared their struggles and their tips for success. I listened intently... absorbing all the personalities and information surrounding me. I kept asking myself 'Am I really ready to do this?' 'Can I give it my all this time?' 'Will I succeed?' I answered each with with 'I have to.'


At the end of the meeting I got my chance to officially weigh in. Whew. Or more like, yikes. Ok well, I had to start somewhere, right? I thanked my leader and asked if I could take tonight to have one last hurrah! Thinking she'd scold me, I winced. But her answer surprised me. She grinned slyly and said "Go for it! But starting tomorrow you measure and count." I headed to the grocery store from there to stock up on some healthy food choices to have on hand until I could do a big grocery shopping. Despite being ravaged with hunger, my new enthusiasm led me to fill my cart with healthy options, except for that last indulgence. I tossed back and forth the idea of ice cream vs. an apple danish. Back and forth. Which one sounded best as my "last meal"? I opted for the danish, which looked oddly placed on the conveyor belt next to the broccoli, 5 calorie bread & yogurt. But I didn't apologize to anyone. I stuffed the groceries in the car and headed home.


Once the kids were nestled all snug in their beds, I tore into that danish like there was no tomorrow. And I ate it decadently. All of it. Yep. Every last bite. Don't judge me.


But the morning brought a new day. A new zest. And quite a different menu.
For breakfast I ate a light Activia Yogurt, a fried egg sandwich on low calorie bread & grapes. As a mid-morning snack I had a Fiber One granola bar. And for lunch I ate cantaloupe and 1 cup of the pasta salad from the recipe I shared in the last blog post. Only I beefed it up with some grilled chicken - 3 oz.

I splurged on a coke in the afternoon, and later snacked on a low calorie english muffin with a hint of peanut butter and thinly sliced apples on top - yum!


I've measured every portion and tracked every point. I purchased the WW point counter calculator and it was $5.95 well spent. I haven't yet eaten dinner at the time of this post, but we're headed to Subway and I know I'll be able to find a healthy option there.


For those of you who aren't dieting but following this blog, I can promise that all my posts will not be about diets and Weight Watchers. But for those of you who are interested, I will have regular updates . If you plan to get healthy along with me, please let me know! Let's encourage each other along the way.





2 comments:

Stephani said...

Yay - good for you :) Posting your progress (and ups and downs) is a good way to keep yourself accountable. I hope you see a good # on that scale next week :)

Aunt Kathy said...

Shelly.. you know my success with WW. I am here to support you and believe you can inspire me too. Let me know if you have any questions about points or are in need of some point friendly food items. Be blessed on this journey.