Thursday, September 13, 2012

Fox 11 - Pallet Sign TUTORIAL

I really feel blessed that I've had the opportunity to share my creations on WLUK Fox 11 4 times now {but who's counting??}  And now that you're reading this, it means that either you follow me already and like to see what I'm up to, or you're checkin' me out to see what I'm all about!  Either way, I'm glad you ventured over here.  :)

 

This morning I shared a fabulous, easy & thrifty project that you can make at home.  If you especially liked the pallet sign, you'll want to revisit my post about other things pallets are good for.

Maybe you didn't get to see me live this morning, so here's what I did!


The project stems from something that's all the rage right now.   Pallets!  You can score them for FREE, so if you tell me that you made this, but had to buy a pallet, I might just have a heart attack.  Seriously.

What you need:
1 {FREE} pallet
Paint {again use the sample sizes from Lowes}
A saying that you love.
Clear lacquer
Screws
Pry bar & hammer

Use a pry bar and hammer to disassemble the pallet so you're left with just lengths of boards.

Line them up and cut them the size you want.



Use extra boards to hold all your face boards together.

Other than screws, all your materials should come from the FREE pallet!


I have been pinning several fun sayings and phrases that I love, so I went to my "Great Sayings" board for inspiration for this piece.  I sketched out what words I wanted where, and what colors I wanted {although you can do this in just one color if you want and it'll still be fabulous}.



Now you can do the lettering a number of different ways.


Free hand.     Stencils.      Projector. 



I used a projector {snagged one at a sale for only $5!  Boy has it come in handy!}  I printed out my lettering on a transparency and projected it onto the pallet and traced and painted it from there.  A little time consuming, but hey, when you get results like this, who cares!!

When it dries, just clear coat it and hang it up!  It will fade and weather if exposed to the elements outside, but for a project this easy and thrifty, it's not too bad to have to change it out every few years!

And nothing goes to waste.  I used the cut offs and scraps from our pallet dis assembly to create some mini signs for my upcoming art shows!  How cute is that?

1 comment:

jrnysunltd said...

This is sooo awesome! I love it and am going to try it. I just asked my husband if he knew where to get me a few free pallets and he looked at me like I was crazy ~lol~

I will check Craig's List for some.